Thursday 28 June 2007

more scribblings...

Have been adding some detail into the design tonight, trying to balance the textures that'll make it into the final print. Still needs a bit more work, but it's nearly there. Need to see how many colours I can reduce the printing down to...that should be a challenge.

As I've been doing this, I've been toying with the idea of approaching an oil in this way...drawing/designing everything first and then collecting the reference material to do the final image...I tend to sketch the ideas for the oils, then take reference photos and then piece the final design together from those before doing the painting...Perhaps by finalising the design first, I'd get a more flowing final image...sacrificing a bit of realism, for a more flowing line and a more interesting composition is probably something worth exploring...certainly something worth trying :)

5 comments:

SueC said...

This is lovely. And unlike Klimt, she has her legs closed.;-)

Will you be using some gold leaf as well?

Hildegard of Bingen said...

Hmm - a manga SueC with a large cauliflower...it's certainly different..:-)

SueC said...

Take no notice of Hildegard :-)....and have faith...worthwhile endeavours inevitably involve sacrifice.

Unknown said...

Well it’s certainly giving me lots of ideas for different directions to take the artwork in…which can only be a good thing. Have started doing some work on the colours, will post a pic of that soon…currently I think it’ll need 9-10 colours, which will be a bit time consuming…but that’s not put me off before... Also did some work on the Jack painting the other day, splattering in the bubbles, seemed to work quite nicely, will need to glaze them to get the shading right, but the overall texture worked well…Assuming I ever leave work, I’ll post some pictures of that soon too :)

Hildegard of Bingen said...

Glad to hear that you've been trolling on.

A 9-10 colour lino cut sounds rather scary, but I seem to recall Hockney doing some similar things in the early 80s using photocopiers - and that came out really well.

Looking forward to seeing more of Jack. Perhaps you can use the bubble odessey a a chance to mediate?