Saturday 8 September 2007

Acrylics...


I've been wanting to have a go at an oil landscape for a little while, the plan being to try and transfer a few of the watercolour ideas across to see what happens... however, it occurred to me that the drying time of the oils might limit the usefulness of this when layering the effects and potentially painting them out in the open...Acrylics were obviously the way to go, but I've not been a big fan of them in the past...but, for some strange reason I was feeling very restless today, so went out and bought some large (and expensive) acrylic brushes and attacked a canvas to see what would happen...

and this is obviously the result of that...:)

I've only just finished painting it, so need to look with fresh eyes in the morning...but I think I'm reasonably pleased with it, there are some interesting effects happening...perhaps I'm onto something...I hope so :) certainly painted this one with some passion...I'm knackered now...;)

6 comments:

SueC said...

You should definitely pursue this acrylic business. :-) I think the potential is there for some really fantastic stuff...I like the movement and passion in this one....especially the sky. I bet you're pleased with it yes?

Unknown said...

Actually it was the first time I’ve enjoyed using acrylics in…20 years…I think the way I was applying it suited the paint…You’re right I am pleased with it…I’ve spent all weekend going back to it and finding bits in there I like…I know it’s not perfect as a painting, but it’s definitely a direction worth pursuing…I did get paint all over the place however…can’t imagine where I’ve picked up that bad habit ;) I think it got so messy because I was painting SO quickly…which again, was a change for me ;) I couldn’t get the paint out of the tubes fast enough…:)

Hildegard of Bingen said...

Schließlich etwas Neigung - bitte mehr!

MissT said...

Things have calmed down at work - time to start painting again :-)

Unknown said...

Things not as calm as they could be at work and currently I’m exhausted…but you’re right it is time to start painting…hopefully by the end of this week I’ll be in a position to do so…:)

Lorna said...

Look forward to seeing the results.

We have hung your painting in the QH and it looks great.