Sunday, 3 June 2012

Turned out all White


I’m in the middle of a very busy couple of weeks at the studio, there are some large commission canvases being worked on and lots of framing jobs coming in and out all the time.

However I managed to find some time yesterday to get back to my ‘orange’ experiment. I’ve tried so many different ways of layering the paint on, most of which were okay (like the gold in the middle), but they didn’t have the subtleties I was looking for. I actually used up all the paint I was working with other than some white, which doesn’t work with the rest of the image… but I felt I was getting closer to something, so decided to use it for one last layer. It’s just what I was after :)

Working on the commissions is proving really good for me as an artist, it’s making me much more experimental, much less precious and tight when working. I’m trying to take a step back, breaking down what’s in a picture, enhancing the bits that work and removing the bits that don’t. It’s a process I want to apply to a number of different styles of painting, this orange experiment being the first of those…

2 comments:

Lorna said...

This is some of the best stuff you've done!!

Graham said...

Thanks Lorna, this is all experimental, no consideration of composition, or indeed the correct colours in this instance ;) Hopefully, once it’s married with a bit of design and the right subject, it’ll turn out well :)