Friday 17 October 2008

Eynsham Toll Bridge

Three weeks since the last post…shameful…I’m going to put it down to good weather and too much time on the allotment…anyway, back to ‘normal’ service now hopefully.

This is the Toll Bridge in Eynsham (I’m not copying you honestly Lorna :)) Drew this out yesterday, painted the sky last night when I got in from the pub…and finished the rest of it off today. I’ve tried to paint the bridge in one sweeping motion and made some masks for the trees before painting the masking fluid on…I don’t think the effect is very clear in this painting, but it’s certainly a technique I shall try again…:)

A couple of quick updates…

The Woodstock picture got into the competition, so it’ll be on show at The Henmans Garden Gallery, The Oxfordshire Museum, during Art in Woodstock (25th - 2nd November)…competition winners are announced on 2nd November, so we’ll see if it gets any further…:)

Oil painting experiment is STILL wet, so I think we can officially say that masking fluid and oil paint do not make happy bedfellows…a new experiment for ‘swirly’ oil paints is penciled in for New Year…:)

5 comments:

Lorna said...

Looks like an "act of God" ... but is it the toll bridge? The painting does reach out an grab your attention.

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about the act of God element…perhaps I should have put Charlton Heston on the bridge ;)

SueC said...

Striking. But you don't see the bridge straight away...I really like the sky but it does seem at odds with your lollipop trees...its like two different paintings morphed into one. More sky less lollipops. ;-)

Lorna said...

I agree ... the bridge looks like a pair of pants constricting the sky.

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about the balance/contrast between the sky and the trees…though I quite like the effect…and the way the bridge merges into the sky…It’s a bit more abstracted than some of the other pictures…:)