Friday 15 February 2008

experiments...


I can’t believe it’s 2.30 already…where is the day going, seems to be rushing by today…Anyway, as someone appears to have stolen my toast idea…you know who you are…;) I’m trying a couple of experiments with the watercolours today and over the weekend. I want to see if I can get buildings and people into them while holding onto the swirling line effect…not something I’ve managed before, as I lose so much accuracy with the swirls that anything recognisable, like a building or person, ends up looking rubbish…so ending up with something not rubbish is the aim :)

First I’m having a go at a building…Christ Church from the Memorial Garden in fact…here’s my sketch, masking fluid is drying as we speak, will post a few more stages as I go…

Today weather is fine, but cold and we’re mostly listening to Nick Cave…don’t know why I’m typing this…still waiting for masking fluid to dry…

Part 2...



Got a bit of colour on, trying to feel my way through…bitty and not really flowing...but we’ll see where it goes…weather got nice for a while, sun setting now, had a little Talking Heads on, now Radiohead…waiting for bits to dry again :)


Part 3...

Pretty much done now…needs to dry and then I’ll take the masking fluid off and see if it needs any glazing or extra marks here and there…

What are the swirling lines for you ask Sue…good question…I’m not sure is the answer, they’ve just come into being as things have gone alone…perhaps they’ve become the ‘Rice stamp’…which is good, because I wanted something along those lines to make my pictures different from everyone elses…originally I wanted to highlight the flow of the land…I wanted something, more expressive…I wanted to get away from painting realistically, to get something more emotional and atmospheric…hopefully they’re getting me some of the way there…I find my eye is naturally drawn to lines within a picture too, so hopefully, with so many lines in these pictures your eye can keep move through them…finding a rhythm, keeping you coming back for more…so to speak…anyway that’s enough gibberish on my part, it’s Friday night, time I got a beer :)

3 comments:

SueC said...

I like the colours you are using. So far so good...although I do sometimes wonder - apart from puting the Rice stamp on a watercolour - what are the swirly lines meant to represent?? THey are certainly aesthetically pleasing - perhaps they don't need to be anything more than that anyway. To quote Picasso: "People want to find a "meaning" in everything and everyone. That's the
disease of our age, an age that is anything but practical but believes itself to be more practical than any other age."

SueC said...

Hmm...I guess that DOES answer my question. I see what you mean about rhythm.

Unknown said...

well we aim to please :)