Friday 13 June 2008

Phase 2

Day two of experimentation and some of the lines are starting to come together nicely. I’m painting the background spaces rather than drawing the actual lines, which is giving me some interesting details along the lines which I really like…the effect is a little bit like a lino cut…anyway, there’s a bit more blocking in of colour to go yet, then I’m going to work the lines themselves, pulling out a few details here and there while tiding up balancing the weight of the lines…Once that’s done I’ll start working on the internal painting…all in all, I’m please with the way this is going, I’m certainly picking up some useful tips :)

4 comments:

Lorna said...

Worth while doing some close ups for the browser?

Unknown said...

just in from a night on the town...well in the fire station...so, not in the perfect state to take photos ;)....will add some close ups with the next post though :)

SueC said...

Do you know what? I don't think I understood anything you wrote here about 'lines'? Not being professionally trained I realise I may be at some disadvantage where understanding the lingo may be concerned....please enlighten. In other words and in the sweetest possible way...WTF are you on about????

Unknown said...

Well, not being trained myself either, I’m probably explaining things VERY poorly…I should stick to the painting, rather than writing….;)

If you look at the end of the strand of hair that’s pointing down towards the thumb, the outline widens at the end forming an unusual shape. It’s this outline shape(line) I’m interested in. There’s a curve, a point, a flat bit and a straight edge. I wouldn’t naturally have made a line like that if I’d drawn it on a blank canvas...

It came into being by my painting the tuft of hair (light blue bit), then painting the background (grey bit) around it while leaving a gap for the outline(dark blue bit)…that’s how I ended up with an interesting outline…I didn’t paint it, it was the bit left between the areas I painted…

Having generated these lines in this slightly random way, they now need tidying up, So I need to work on them directly, sharpening some of the edges etc and adjusting the ‘weight’ (By the weight of the line I mean the thickness…)

Is that any clearer…? Very difficult explaining something visual in words…well, it is to me ;) If it’s still not clear…and if you’re interested ;) I’ll show you when we’re next in the pub :) Of course you may now be thinking he’s becoming very dull and slightly mad, getting over excited about these lines…;) :)